If you have been trying for a baby for a year or more, you can be referred for tests to investigate and treat your subfertility. Some basic investigations and tests can be completed privately although treatment itself must be through a HFEA registered infertility centre. The following tests can be offered and the results of these can be passed on to your infertility team.
- Cervical smear
- Rubella immunity test
- Chlamydia test (prior to tubal patency testing)
- Blood tests which may include
- FSH & LH (tests for ovarian function)
- Testosterone, SHBG, FAI, DHEAS, 17 α hydroxy progesterone acetate, Prolactin and Thyroid function tests if periods are not coming regularly
- Progesterone level to test for evidence of ovulation
- Tubal patency tests – to see if the tubes are open
HSG – an Xray with contrast dye pushed into the cervix
Laparoscopy and Dye Hydrotubation – Keyhole operation to check the tubes are open and look for other signs of disease such as scarring from past infections or endometriosis
- Semen analysis
- AMH – Antimullerian Hormone – ovarian reserve test
As well as providing these investigations and tests, Olivia will give you support and personalised advice as to how you can improve your chances of conception whilst you are being investigated. She can then refer you on to an approved HFEA Fertility Centre for treatment.